Jobs / Mechanical Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Our mechanical engineers are responsible for creating the strong foundations that allow our products to come alive.
You will work closely with our optical, electrical, industrial and manufacturing designers, creating high-quality, professional grade products and solutions. Your skills and contributions will be critically important in us being able to create and manufacture beautiful and robust hardware products. We are working on the very forefront of technology, going for premium, lightweight solutions using advanced materials and manufacturing methods.
You are a creative and innovative problem solver and team player who thrives in a dynamic startup environment. You are confident and not afraid to get your hands dirty with physical prototyping when trying out new solutions.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland.
- Design and specify solutions that are mass production viable using best-in-class 3D CAD tools
- Prototype various mechanical and opto-mechanical fixtures and assemblies to support R&D work
- Explore quick prototypes of concepts and solutions using 3d printing tools
- Research, test and evaluate various systems, equipment and technology alternatives from our vendors
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary internal and external teams during all stages of the project, driving agreement about the best solutions
- Ensure success of mass production of your parts and designs
- Consult and negotiate with vendors on production plans and product launches
- Author 2D and 3D specifications and documentations for manufacturing and testing use
- Protect company intellectual property by creating innovative and patentable solutions
- BSc / MSc / Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Multiple years relevant experience in mechanical design or product design development
- Proven track record of successful design projects
- Demonstrated understanding of design tolerance and dimensioning issues
- Knack to find creative and innovative solutions and the persistence to polish them to perfection
- Expert knowledge in your preferred 3D CAD suite, with the ability to train others when necessary
- Ability to work with minimal supervision on complex mechanical development problems
- Team player, ability to perform in cross functional teams and to share knowledge to others
- First hand experience with 3D printing and rapid iterative prototyping
- Knowledge of structural analysis tools
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects
- Good communication skills in English
Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory. The capability to occasionally travel to various partners is required.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in mixed reality experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary and start-up level stock option plan to share the success
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
To apply for the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: MECHANICAL ENGINEER.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Include your portfolio and relevant work samples. Send us details of work you are especially proud of - please wow us!