Jobs / Prototype Maker
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Pushing the limits of the technology is the process of endless exploration of unknown. Exploration needs pioneers that bravely build bridges from existing to new fronts. We believe technology is not just designed, it is also made thus we in Varjo rely on functional prototyping to prove we are right. Our prototype builders help us to prove that dreams can be turned into reality.
You will be responsible for developing prototypes of new technology and device concepts. Optics, electronics, materials, mechanics and even SW belong to your toolbox, concurrent optimization and un-orthodox application of methods and tools is strictly allowed. Starting point of your work may be an early rough concept or existing prototype that needs more refinement, or anything in between. Your task is to make a functional prototype out of this starting point that can be then tested or used in further HW & SW development.
It is critical that you are a creative and innovative tinkerer and problem solver that can work with variety of different cultures and engineering and non-engineering arts. You master wide palette of technologies suitable for prototyping, and you have an existing network of subcontractors and suppliers you know can deliver the needed technologies and services.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland.
- Ensure we have the right tools and technologies available for functional prototypes
- Plan, design and develop prototypes based on the needs of the R&D
- Propose and support methods and technologies to products and concepts
- Measure and develop measurement set-up to test performance and durability
- Contribute the innovations of the rest of the team to find optimum solutions
- Portfolio of examples of the prototyping work done
- Experience of concurrent engineering work in Embedded SW, Electronics, Optics, Mechatronics and Mechanics
- Fast hands, able to deliver and try out things quickly
- Team player, ability to share knowledge to others and achieve results as a team
- Capability to effectively work with multiple simultaneous projects
- Good communication skills in English
- CAD design skills are plus
- Previous experience of working with mechanics or optics sub-contractors is a plus
- Previous experience of working with augmented reality solutions is a plus
- Nerdy tinkering hobby is a big plus!
Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory. The capability to occasionally travel to various partners is required.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in mixed reality experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive compensation to share the success
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
To apply for the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: PROTOTYPE MAKER.
Include your CV / link to your LinkedIn profile and work samples you are especially proud of.
Candidates with any suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.