Jobs / Senior Digital Artist
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Our Senior Digital Artists lead the creation of the visuals that our users will see.
You will work closely with our team of designers, hardware and software engineers to create innovative and compelling content, crafting the future of VR and MR user experiences.
You are the rare breed of person that has both the technical skills to create compelling 2d and 3d content from scratch as well as the aesthetic sense for great style and design, leveraging your knowledge and expertise to create delightful solutions that people love to use. You are curious and love experimenting, creating and sharing many ideas rapidly, and iterating and improving on your work based on user feedback. You know the design rules but are not afraid to break them. Your creations feel energetic, responsive and alive.
You are a creative and innovative problem solver and team player who thrives in a dynamic startup environment.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland.
- Working hands-on, creating 2d and 3d graphics, materials, user interface, visual design and motion design solutions from concept to final implementation
- Deliver pixel perfect hi-fidelity designs to front end development and supporting them so that they can do their work successfully
- Creating new and optimizing existing high quality assets so that they run in realtime with optimal performance
- Work inside Unity and Unreal Engine to create 3d environments as well as assembling content from existing libraries of assets
- Exploring concepts, technical solutions and alternatives, creating quick sketches and prototypes of your ideas
- Supporting other areas of business by creating graphical content and assets
5+ years of relevant professional and creative experience with a proven track record of shipped and successful projects (for example game projects)
BA/BS/MSc degree in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial) HCI, CS, or a related field, or equivalent practical work experience
Strong 3d modelling, texturing, texture mapping and UV mapping skills
Technical proficiency in computer graphic areas such as realtime lighting, rendering, PBR texturing and graphical shader creation
Proficiency with 3D modeling and art software, such as Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop and Substance
An eye for design, typography, motion graphics, color theory, a sense of style and polish, a refined taste – you know what is both functional and that looks good
Creative thinking ability to resolve technical challenges and limitations
Ability to think, design, prototype and express your ideas in 3D
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects
- Good communication skills in English
Previous experience of working in VR or MR is a plus
Previous experience in UX design is a plus
Experience creating interactions and prototypes inside Unity and/or Unreal Engine is a plus
Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in VR and MR experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary plan
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
To apply for the role, email email@example.com with the subject: SENIOR DIGITAL ARTIST.
Include your CV / link to your LinkedIn profile.
Please include URLs for an online portfolio in addition to resume.
Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
If you know people already working in Varjo, feel free to namedrop.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.